The Pros and Cons of Analog CCTV System:
The major difference between analog and digital security systems is the video recording and delivering method. In analog camera CCTV, the image is recorded and sent through a coaxial cable. This signal is received by a Digital Video Recorder (DVR). The signal is then converted from analog to digital by the DVR.
The DVR compresses the file and stores the data on a hard drive. You can connect a monitor to the DVR to view this analog camera CCTV data. For internet broadcasting through an internal network, the DVR can be connected to the router and modem. The analog CCTV system comes with an analog CCTV camera installation guide that will point out to all the input and output specifications of the system.
On the other hand, digital security systems record digitally. They do not need to be sent to DVR for processing. They can be directly sent and received through a computer network. A computer system will be the only hardware requirement for these kinds of systems. A single software running on the computer system is the only prerequisite for transmitting digital images captured by the digital camera.
Advantages of Analog Camera System:
- Cost: Analog cameras are way less cheap than their digital counterparts.
- Simplicity: The installation is easier and is one single unit that has one cost attached to it.
- Low Bandwidth: The analog video files are smaller in size. A coax cable is used to transfer these videos to the DVR. The transmission bandwidth for analog CCTV camera installation is reduced significantly due to this.
- Best Design Options: It is easier to find a camera model that suits one’s list of desirable features. There is a plethora of analog camera options in the market today.
Disadvantages of Analog Camera Systems:
- Too many cables- As there need to be wires connected to the power supply and the DVR, the analog camera will have way too many cables than a digital camera. The coaxial cables that are used for analog camera CCTV connection systems are costlier than CAT 5 or CAT 6 cables used in the digital camera system.
- Image Quality- Details at a far distance will be grainy when captured with an analog camera. Moreover, the analog systems cannot be zoomed beyond a permissible level. This image will end up more blurry. Check the resolution of the analog cameras in its analog CCTV camera installation guide before you purchase the system.
- Coverage Area- The coverage area of an analog camera is less than their digital counterparts. Due to this reason, more analog CCTV camera installation is needed to cover a wider area.
- DVR Limitations – A DVR has a fixed number of ports to connect analog cameras. You will need to purchase an extra DVR if you need to connect more analog cameras.
- Wireless Limitations – Due to Government regulations,analog camera CCTV connection systems are affected by limitations analog frequencies. Other wireless devices can easily distort the analog camera system.
- No Encryption – Unauthorized access and viewing are possible with analog cameras as they do not have encryption facilities.
Star Unisafe is aware of all the challenges you will face while installing analog camera systems. We make sure that our customers get an optimum service for analog CCTV camera installations.